For information or to book a group tour at any time throughout the year please phone 086-1665869 or 0504-43124 (office hours). Email: holycrossabbeytours@
Guided tours of the Abbey are also available every Wednesday and Sunday at 2.30pm, March to September inclusive. To book a tour outside of these times, please contact us.
Because the Abbey is our parish church tour times will be rescheduled to adapt to any religious events taking place in the Abbey. We accept donations of €5 (2019 rate).
Highlights of a Visit to Holycross Abbey
- It has the widest range of window patterns and tracery of any medieval building. No two windows are the same.
- The Sedilia and Waking Bier draw superlatives from the experts. Roger Stalley in his book on the Cistercians describes them as “.. the finest piece of church furnishing in medieval Ireland”. They are the highpoint in Cistercian art in stone.
- The Relic of the Cross was probably displayed in the waking bier. It drew pilgrims from far and wide since the foundation in 1182 AD.
- A 750 years old bell, called Michael, is reputedly the oldest church bell in Ireland and hangs in the belfry.
- It has the only surviving medieval chapter house doorway in Ireland.
- There is also a whispering arch.
- The arcading of the cloister is beautifully executed.
- There is plenty more here in stone, folklore, legend and history.
Failte go Mainister na Croise Naofa